Thursday, July 11, 2002

Crazy Environmentalists

So it seems that environmentalists are to ‘blame’ for the recent spate of massive forest fires in the USA. Wonder if that’s true in Saskatchewan and Quebec? If I weren’t lazy, maybe I’d go find out.

Don't get me wrong, I think preserving as much of Earth's natural beauty is vitally important. But before I make any effort to actually do so, I might actually try to make sure what I'm doing is the best thing to do... for at least nature or mankind.

I guess the main problem is that they advocate the ‘status quo’. Certainly seems like a good idea, the forests got along just fine before Americans showed up, so they should get along just fine without Americans visiting/tending/logging them. However, it turns out that the status quo was already so far out of equilibrium that the forests basically had no choice but to burn out of control. Of course, without American stewardship, the forests will eventually return to an equilibrium, but who knows how long?

Let me ask this: what do you think creates more greenhouse gas: 500,000 Ford Explorers or 8 million burning trees?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?