Monday, March 03, 2003

So I had a decent enough weekend.

I worked both days, but went out Saturday night none-the-less.

Actually, Saturday I went out with one of our artists. He’s a pretty cool guy, I hadn’t met him before. He was (like most people) taken aback by my size when he first met me. He’s used to all the stick figure women who hang out in the ‘art world’.

The stick figure is an interesting idea in itself. It’s not that all seriously artistic women are thin. They’re not. But still, there’s a bit of a stereotype. I guess if you’re a good painter or sculptress or something you’re expected to not have time to eat! Or there’s always the starving artist syndrome… it’s hard to present yourself as someone who doesn’t care they’re poor because they’re always painting when you look like you’re eating well!

Alas, I guess not enough people realise that cooking is an art to be appreciated as much as oil painting or marble sculpturing…

Anyway, Ralph wanted to get to know me better, so we went out to a nice quiet pub and talked for much of the night. I do enjoy doing things like that. I enjoy being the centre of attention (who doesn’t!?) and I also enjoy talking about my weight. I certainly can’t hide it, so why not embrace it, right?

I was telling him about how for a while I considered my body a work of art, that by growing larger by my own will was as much an accomplishment as any body builder, who will tell you they believe their pursuits are artistic!

Indeed, there was a time when I’d considered going into body building, specifically because I wanted to artistically remake my body. But the time and effort involved would have precluded too much else… plus since I was about 300 pounds at the time I wasn’t exactly made to feel welcome in a room of men and women would as soon spit in your eye as eat a Big Mac.

Anyway, he told me about an artist he’d heard about once who gained weight, and then lost it, and became muscular! Sounds pretty cool. There’s not much about her on the web, but her name is Elizia Volkman. I couldn’t find any pictures, but I do find the idea that 200 pounds is her idea of FAT is hilarious!

I also told Ralph about the ‘work’ I’d done with Ian, how he was my current artistic project, feeding him, and doing sketches, maybe some paintings of him. He actually said it was very interesting, and he wondered if he could handle being a big guy! (Ralph is quite thin… I don’t know if he’s fit or just… thin.)

Either way, it was a nice evening. I always enjoy such discussions, I learn so much about myself everytime I try to put my thoughts into words. I also love seeing how other people see me!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?