Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Memoirs of a Fat Man: Response

Memoirs of a Fat Man: Response

Ian really is enjoying his excess weight. I’ve read what he’s written on it (part 1, part 2), and it barely scratches the surface of the day to day joy he experiences simply because he’s fat. Ian could write for months, and I don’t think he could do justice to the incredible experiences he has in just one day.

Some days I’m jealous of him. I was once quite large myself, and I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as he did. Why? I don’t know. Maybe I didn’t let myself enjoy it. Or maybe this really is the way he was meant to be, and it just wasn’t for me. Everyone has different things that make them happy, and I’m absolutely ecstatic that Ian has found his. I’m also quite pleased that a fat Ian is one of the things that makes me happy.

All of what Ian writes about enjoying his weight could certainly apply to me. I might change the order around, I loved eating more than I loved being fat, I think he loves being fat more than eating. But it’s a subtle point.

I think my love of being fat was fundamentally different from Ian’s though. I think my favourite part was the complete rebelliousness of being fat. In today’s society so many rebellious actions are cool: tattoos, piercings, funky hair cuts, provocative dress… it’s all been done. If you do it, you’re not rebelling against society any more: you’re just moving to a different clique.

But being fat has not become cool. Now, that’s not to say there aren’t plenty of cool fat people, but many of them are cool DESPITE being fat. Kids grow up wanting tattoos, or piercings, but who grows up wanting to be fat?

So I was a bit of an ultimate rebel. To be sure, that wasn’t the ONLY reason I was so big. I did like to eat, and I did enjoy the constant change in my life. But at the end of the day, I loved that I could walk into a room, be the fattest person there, and know that people had no idea what to make of it.

Again, I know I’m not the first person to say “I’m Fat, Get Over It.” But it’s just not common. And if it does become common, that’s great. I’ll still enjoy my size on other grounds, and have a secret joy in knowing that I was ahead of the curve.

I really don’t think Ian cares much for this. He does enjoy being unique, but it’s not his favourite part. If everyone was his size, he’d be just as happy as he is now.

If everyone was Ian’s size, I’d probably still be 110 lbs!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?