Monday, July 05, 2004

Cottage Country

Friday Ian and I headed upto Cottage Country to visit with some of his friends. They try to get together every summer at least once. It’s kind of a fun pilgrimage, and his friends are all pretty cool. We don’t see them as much as when we lived in Toronto, but that’s to be expected really. It’s times like that when I realise that Ian really has made sacrifices for me. He came to London because I’m here.

It’s good to get out in the sun too, and throw back some beers with friends. Also good to see Ian floating around in a bathing suit! We’d had to buy some new ones for the trip because last year’s didn’t fit, of course.

I love that first shock when Ian’s friends realise how big he is again. Since we hadn’t seen some since last summer, when Ian was a mere 450 or so, there is quite a change. Especially compared to me, I was in the high 300s then myself!

A couple of the girls even congratulated me on the weight loss. I told them to hold their congratulations. I really hate when people say that too me. It’s just… I don’t know. To me it’s just a small change really. I don’t feel like I’m really accomplishing anything, not like when I was gaining weight. Living life at 460 pounds IS an accomplishment. Doing something I did before… where’s the big deal in that?

You lose a volleyball game, no one congratulates you. You lose your keys, no congratulations. You’re congratulated when you win the lottery, when you graduate from school. You congratulate someone for GAINING something!

Of course, one girl had gained maybe 30 pounds. I knew better than to congratulate her. She seemed extra embarrassed that I would dare to swim when she wouldn’t. Too bad for her I suppose.

The biggest downside to these trips is that Ian has to eat normally. There just isn’t the logistics for him to feed like we do at home.

But that’s fine, going to the cottage isn’t about daily life, it’s about relaxing, having fun with friends. I’d rather spend the time like that than watching Ian gain another pound.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?