Monday, September 13, 2004

Ottawa Again!

I had an incredible week up in Ottawa.

It was so good to get back into a honest to goodness museum. I know that ROM isn’t all that far, and Museum London actually has it’s charms, but it was good to just take the time and go through the galleries. I’m refreshed, I’m recharged, I’m a kid again!

I wish I could’ve done it with Ian, but I know it’s not what he’d like. I think I’ll make sure to take this time every once in a while.

It was also a lot of fun to reacquaint with Shelley. We’ve both changed so much since we were together last, it wasn’t just a matter of listing off events, accomplishments (or lack thereof) or gossip. Our life experiences were so different, and yet the more we talked, we realised there was so much the same deep down!

She talked about getting into weights because one of her friends did. She didn’t mean to get buffed, except once she had a taste of it, she couldn’t stop. Sound familiar? Now she’s got a case of can’t get big enough. She spends a lot of her free time working out (I was there with her. Forget how uncomfortable I am in a gym!). She’s something to see under all that strain, but there’s a majestic poetry about it too.

It’s fun eating with her too. Her body burns so many calories, she easily plows through what I consider a comfortable amount of food. She’s not like Ian, or my old days, but still, a lot of food! The problem is, she’s just taking in fuel. She doesn’t EAT, she doesn’t enjoy it. I made up some great meals for her. She admitted to understanding why I got so fat to eat like that all the time!

I think that really was an interesting moment. She finally understood I wasn’t some disgusting fat woman. I’d taken control, I’d made a choice, and I was enjoying myself. We are both very in tune with our bodies, but following a different piper.

We really talked, we really reconnected. It was tough leaving her. We’ll talk on the phone, I’m going to try to get her online (she’s about as technologically inclined as she was back in 98). I’d love to chat with her. I’d love to see her do a blog too!

In addition to art, and Shelley, there was one more thing that I’ll remember about Ottawa: Jamie. She’s the girl that Shelley’s dating these days. I didn’t get to see much of her last time I was up, but I got to know her a lot more this time. She’s a great girl too.

She does administrative work for a company up there. They met at the gym. She’s a gym rat like Shelley, but she’s not for bulk, she’s there mostly for aerobics. She’s built so tight, she makes me think of a greyhound!

Jamie and Shelley have a bit of the Yin-Yang thing that Ian and I have. Or more like Thomas and Amy I guess. It works well for them, but I know that Shelley loved having me along in the museum.

I really want to get up again. A week just isn’t enough time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?