Monday, October 18, 2004

Thanksgiving 2

More than once I’ve been accused of being selfish, self-serving, and only out for myself. Mostly I would respond to such taunts with a witty remark that simply obscured the truth: the accusations were right. I’ve long felt that I was special, that I deserved whatever I could get, and that I was by far the most important person in the world.

So have I grown beyond this? I don’t think I’m qualified to answer. I’d like to think so, but… I still love to have my own way, and know enough people who are willing to bend to it.

But I HAVE learned that there is a tremendous joy to be had in giving. Spending three days in the store and kitchen, cooking for other people, it’s not something I’d have done 10 years ago, but this weekend I did. And I loved it!

This weekend was Thanksgiving 2. For ‘real’ thanksgiving we were with our parents, so this was a chance for some friends in London to get together and celebrate. But why settle for one turkey dinner, when there’s so much more I could do.

Friday and Saturday were my days to spoil Ian. As a weekend with friends, I also spoiled Amy. I love cooking for the two of them. They enjoy eating so much, it’s so rewarding to bring that to them.

Friday I made up lasagnes. Nothing special, just toyed around with the flavouring and bake times a little variety: the spice of life! Ian, Amy and Thomas enjoyed them, although Ian and Amy definitely ate the lion’s share.

For Saturday’s dinner I made a honey glazed ham. I made a raft of vegetables to go with it. Again, it was just Ian, Amy Thomas and me at dinner. Again, Ian and Amy did not disappoint. In fact, Thomas was surprised how much they ate (I guess they’d eaten quite a bit earlier in the day as well).

Sunday brought a few more friends to the apartment. I set up another table so everyone could have a seat. It was great having so many people to a sit down dinner. I think I’ll try again sometime soon! Once again, Amy and Ian put on a show. They ate a tremendous amount.

Everyone enjoyed having a ‘second thanksgiving’ with friends; it’s tough choosing between family and friends if you have to. So, I think we’ll make this an annual thing so everyone can have a great time with their family AND their friends.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?