Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Thanksgiving 2004

Is there a more perfect day than Thanksgiving? The holiday seems to be completely suited to those of us who are fond of a little extra flesh; a day to be lazy, a day to overindulge, a day to spend wowing family and friends.

The best part about being in a relationship is that you get to have TWO Thanksgiving dinners, one with Ian’s family and one with mine.

Sunday we had dinner with Ian’s family. His brother has a new girlfriend, and the two of us worked together to make dinner. It was fun getting to know her, and I think she really enjoyed working in the kitchen with someone like me. She’s worked in kitchens before (summer jobs and such), so she likes that I know what I’m doing, and am focusing on the business at hand. She was surprised how much food I was preparing. She knew that Ian was fat, but she didn’t realise he ate that much. She just thought it was a gland problem and that he ate normally.

She wasn’t exactly aghast when I gave her the quick version of why he’s so fat, but she’s definitely one of those people who simply ‘doesn’t get it’. Perhaps the next time we meet, I’ll explain it to her. It’s a lot to take in all at once, especially since she was still reeling from seeing Ian for the first time. She was surprised that Ian actually ate as much as he did. I’d prepared enough to ensure there were leftovers for everyone, and there was, but not as much as I’d expected!

Monday was time for dinner with my family. My mom’s so happy that I’ve lost weight. She only mentioned it once or twice, but I can really tell that she’s happy with it anyway. She likes Ian, but I can tell she wishes he’d lose weight too.

Once again we put together a fantastic meal. My sister helped out, she’s been learning a lot in the last year about cooking (and it shows, she’s gained about 25 pounds I think! I never really brought it up, as we weren’t ever alone). She’s getting pretty good at the cooking though, it was nice that we could all share that while the guys watched movies.

Besides stuffing Ian to the gills with turkey twice, we also got to see Jeri, Amanda and James Saturday! I really need to make the time to see them more often, Amanda’s getting so big! (Like kids normally do, just taller, not fatter, lol.) Ian commented that he remembers her being a baby when we first went out, now she’s in school. Has it really been that long!?

Jeri and James are doing great, they’re still silly in love and I love to see that. There’s not much better than your friends being silly in love (the only thing I can think of is being silly in love yourself. I’m not SURE Ian and I still are, but it’s easier for outsiders to tell anyway). Jeri’s weight is about the same, but since I’ve been losing there’s not nearly as much difference now as there was in June. I wish I could talk with her about weight. Actually, I’m sure I could, but just never seem to be able to bring it up with her.

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend! Can’t get enough family, food and friends.

Speaking of which, I’m having another thanksgiving this weekend! It’ll be for us, Amy and Thomas.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?