Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Getting Along

Everyone said that the key to sanity for a new mom is to setup a routine. Everyone.

Everyone was right.

Assuming you can call me 'sane'.

We've got Paul onto a schedule, he's sleeping well, he's feeding well, we're having a great time together! I won't say it's easy, but it's fun.

Everyone also says that you need to enjoy this time, because it goes away too soon. I am loving every moment of it. It is the best time of my life.

Now, I don't want this blog to be about Paul too much. I'm very happy with him, but I'm keeping a private diary about him for myself. He's my pride and joy, so while I'll talk about him here (he's an important figure in my life), I don't want his life to be a public spectacle.

I do, however, want to have a public, such that a diary reader such as yourself is. I'm addicted to it, what can I say?

So, baby aside, how's life been?

First, the big change is getting used to being not pregnant. Pregnancy was a lot of fun for me, every day, every minute brought something unexpected. Towards the end though, the unexpected was usually uncomfortable, and sometimes quite painful. The last month felt interminable: I just got bigger and bigger, slower and slower, and much more awkward.

Now, I'm sleeker, faster, and much more coordinated. I feel like I've changed from an elephant into a leopard. Well, a fat leopard, I suppose. It still feels good.

Where I'm slim and trim, Ian's now bigger than ever. He weighed in at 587 pounds last week. We've given it some serious thought. He's come so far, it would seem wrong for him to pull back now. I can handle Paul on my own. I hadn't really been cooking dinner during the last stage of my pregnancy. I really really missed making those big meals.

So we're going to get Ian to 600 pounds.

We've already gotten into the old routines, I've learned how to work in the kitchen around Paul's schedule, and I've gotten back into the groove of making the big meals that really appeal to Ian's appetite. I'm still working on growing his appetite back to where it was, but he's making excellent progress. We won't hit 600 pounds before the New year's, but with some good luck, we can get him to 600 for his birthday.

On the weekend I did my first 'adult function' since Paul was born. I went to Michelle's Christmas party, while Ian stayed home with Paul. It's really really really hard to have fun when in the back of your mind, you're wondering how your baby is doing! But, Ian survived, Paul survived, and I too survived. I even did have a little bit of fun, though I didn't close the place.

I did get to spend some time with Amy though. We've sort of grown apart lately. Maybe that's not the right expression. We haven't seen much of each other, for a variety of reasons, so it was good to sit down and talk with her a little bit without a baby hanging off my boob. She spent most of the party eating, which is a feeling I remember well. She's doing a great job of gaining weight on her own. I'm kind of proud of her, she's really come a long way. She really is a great friend, I want to spend more time with her.

Comments:
Char you mentioned that Ian and Amy are busy gaining. Is there an update on your weight? Will you be gaining, stabilizing or actively gaining?

Will you put off gaining until Paul is older, say two or three, so he doesn't require as much care such as regular breastfeeding or diaper change, or will you simply focus on helping Ian gain?

If you plan to start gaing again, do you have a goal weight? Will Ian stop at 600lbs or continue gaining to a new goal weight?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?