Wednesday, April 05, 2006

600

Ian hit 600 pounds today. I'm not sure he got a chance to post to his diary yet, he's been pretty busy. I had cakes ready for him when he got home from work, and we had salmon for dinner, and he's been devouring pizza with Amy over the hockey game.

This is another of those moments in life when you've been wanting it to come, and yet are sad to see it pass. Now that Ian's reached 600 pounds, it's time to move. No longer will he be gaining weight, pushing his limits, getting fatter and fatter with each passing day. On one hand, I'm ready to move on to whatever's next. On the other hand, I LOVE Ian the gainiac. I love Ian, no matter what, but Ian the gainiac was almost a separate love, someone... something removed from Ian my husband.

I never set out to get Ian to 600 pounds. When I first met Ian, even the thought of being married to a 600 pound man would have turned my stomach. If he'd told me that he wanted to weigh 600 pounds, I'd have laughed in his face and never thought twice about him. But I learned to appreciate his weight gain, I learned to love his increasing appetite, his increasing waistline and the radical and subtle changes he's experienced in becoming a fat man. Yes, I admit, I loved Ian's weight gain, and I pushed him. I'm not ashamed of it. It's the truth, it's who I am. No shame.

I'm a little sad that I can't see how far he can go. I know I can make him fatter than 600 pounds, I know he could handle it, and my mind just reels with the possibilities of Ian reaching 700, 800 or even 1000 pounds.

He's changed a lot as he's gained, and not just his body, not just his appetite. He's grown, he's matured, but everyone does that. His attitudes have changed, his ideas of right and wrong, important and mundane. He's been shaped by his weight, and I like that. Living at 600 pounds is different from living at 200 pounds, just as living at 1000 pounds would be different again. It all affects us, it all changes us, and damned if I don't want to know that that does to someone!

But life... life is decisions, and just because one of my dreams is to feed Ian to 1000 pounds, that's not my greatest dream is to be a family. I want to have Ian for all time. I want Ian to be the best dad. I want to have the best kids. I want a life that is full, and, quite frankly, I can't see that with 1000 pound Ian. I could be wrong, I've been wrong about a lot of things. But it's a gamble, and it's one I don't need to take. We're going to have more kids, it's just a matter of time. I'm going to need Ian to be there for me, for them, for us.

So... getting Ian to 600 pounds is undoubtedly one of the things I'll always look back on. I'll always look back on how proud, how happy I am now. And I'll always look back and wander what I could have REALLY achieved.

Comments:
Well you set yourself a big challenge and you have risen to the occasion. But it strikes me that the biggest challenge now is getting Ian to lose weight and back in the shape he needs to be in for you, the family and the kids. To get a man to 600 pounds and then BACK again is possibly an even more impressive achievement than getting a man to 800 or 1000 pounds. So don't look back and wonder what you might have achieved, look back and think about what you have achieved. The work is just beginning!
 
Well I suppose Charlotte having reached to top of Everest one might like to have a cup of tea and admire the view for a while before setting on down
Nick :)
 
Climbers who make it to the top of Everest do NOT want to have a cup of tea or enjoy the view!!

Their bodies are deprived of oxygen, they are weak, moving slowly, exhausted. A climber at the top of Everest, once they have achieved their goal, wants to get down to a lower altitude as quickly as possible.

I agree with the first writer. The celebration should happen back at base camp, once you are in a safe zone for your body.

Most climbers die on the descent. Making it to the top is only part of the achievement, making it down alive is the most important part.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?