Friday, July 28, 2006

Routine

Lesson #1: life with a baby is a life of routine.

Class dismissed.

In other news, because my life has become so routine, it is tough to write things in my blog. I don't want to write about Paul here, it's not something I want to share that way, and since he takes up my day, that doesn't leave much to write about!

Also, routine does kind of kill creative impulses, which is one of the reasons I write: to flex my creative impulse. There's only so many times I can write Ian lost weight and I gained weight. That's all that changes.

I suppose this is my way of saying I need a change myself. Obviously. And yet it takes me actually writing this to realise the obvious.

Time for a change.

What?

Um.

I don't know. I'll talk it over with Ian this weekend, we'll figure something out, or else I'll just drive him insane.

At least that would give me something to write about.

Comments:
Sitting in the back of the class with my hand extended as high as it will go, waving at you.. wait.. I don't agree..

It's much easier to find changes and variations if there's little routine in one's existence, but even within a humdrum repetitive existence there is room for creativity, though of a more subtle character.

Your knowledge of artists far outstrips my own, but I can recall having spent much time looking at modern artworks which on initial viewing seemed to be purely regular and no more interesting than wallpaper in its regularity, but with further study were in fact craftily subtle in the ways in which the artist had insidiously undermined the regularity in creative ways which opened up to the viewer as one entered more deeply into the work.

As a veteran of the routine that you are now experiencing I can tell you that the notion of routine and regularity is merely a matter of perspective and not reality. In the same way that the world looks flat as we stand on it, but nearly spherical when we view it from a different perspective, the early child raising years(and the later ones as well)are a time of such breakneck changes camouflaged by relentless exhaustion and repetitive simple needs that one need only step back for a second and recognize the changes taking place to see how things are changing. Understanding that the discussions of your parenting activities are necessarily and intentionally beyond the bounds of this blog, your life is being enriched, impoverished and turned inside out in ways which call for a storm of words to express.

Call this a vote for you to continue in whatever way you can, because you must maintain your independent identity and existence and not just become a derivative being to the child you are raising. You're Char first, and only second or third Paul's Mother and Ian's wife.

In any event, I enjoy your blogging too much to allow you to sacrifice it to the death of creativity by repetition without a shout out for you to make time for Char.

Huge
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?