Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thanksgiving: 2006

Nick: A world of 500 pound women? Dare to dream my friend. Would make it easier to find some decent clothes though.

We went to Toronto for Thanksgiving again, I made dinner for Ian's family Sunday, and then helped out my mom with our family's on Monday. I love Thanksgiving. The food is something everyone knows, so there is a standard. You know what turkey tastes like, you know when it's good, and when it's bad. Thanksgiving is a chance to really show that I understand 'good food', and what people like.

Thanksgiving is also a chance to let someone else look after Paul for a while. I love him dearly, but, it's nice to get some time away, lol.

I didn't get a chance to visit with Jeri and Amanda, they were out of town. I'll need to make another visit or two while I'm still on mat leave. I miss them far too much.

The biggest question mark of Thanksgiving was Ian's appetite. How much was he going to eat? Was he going to restrain himself? Was he going to eat more than ever? Would it be a test of his self restraint? The start of something new? Well, I have to say, I was surprised. Ian ate a lot of food, as everyone is wont to do on Thanksgiving, but it was only a lot by 'normal' standards. I ate far more than he did, he ate far less than he has in many Thanksgivings. He said he was going to eat as much as he could, and I believe he did. His capacity really has shrunk over the last few months! Back home in London he's been eating as per usual (usual being the last few months, not the last few years). I thought there would be something of a re-awakening, but he's been 'good'. Granted, he didn't lose any weight this week, but he did have a few big meals, and far less exercise than normal. Next week will be a better indication of how his appetite has been sticking.

My own weight, on the other hand, has benefitted greatly from socially sanctioned gluttony. I'm up to 446 pounds this week. I can't help but think 'damn that's big'. It seems bigger as a number than it does as a reality. I don't FEEL like I'm 446 pounds. At 446 I should be feeling slower, I should be experiencing more difficulty getting around, I should be taking up more space. But I don't feel that way. I feel 400, maybe 430, tops. By that standard, I'd put Ian around 300 pounds these days, he moves too fast, too well balanced for someone his size!

Thanksgiving isn't done though, I'll be having my 'gourmet thanksgiving' this weekend. Not sure exactly what I'll serve yet, I'll be hitting the store tomorrow to finalise everything. It'll be tough to figure out how much to serve, last year there was Amy, Ian, Alex and preggo Char to feed, this year, the only big eaters are me and Alex. We'll see how close I can get it.

Comments:
Hi Char
A world of 500lb women, maybe in an age yet to come, with skinny girls complaining they cannot find anything to wear in the shops.
Meanwhile you could celebrate Thanksgiving all over again next month for the benefit of your American audience.

Nick
 
Don't think I won't be having American Thanksgiving Nick!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?