Friday, December 15, 2006

A Weak Defense

Two roads diverged in a wood and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost “The Road Not Taken”

The fact of the matter is ‘health’ is a very big idea. There’s your physical health, there is your mental health, and, if you like, there is spiritual health, emotional health and dozens of other types of ‘health’, depending on what theories you subscribe to.

I have to do what makes me happy, that’s important to my health.

I’ve always liked to take my own path, and while I’m not exactly unique in this path, it is by far the one less travelled. I know it comes at a cost. I also know that choosing the easy path comes at a cost too. I know what the costs are. I seriously believe I cannot live a life of disappointment. I might be weak that way, but I’m alive.

I can’t deny that I live in denial. Even if I recommend such a lifestyle to other people, I’m not in a position to know it’s the best, there’s plenty of evidence against. I can’t dispute it.

I don’t mind people challenging me. I’ve written about this before, trying not to repeat myself.

Comments:
Well said! People seem to take the "science" they read in the newspapers far too seriously. Science is always looking for links, but it certainly doesn't have all the answers. My grandmother has lived for years being very obese and with high blood pressure. Doctors have told her for decades she needs to lose weight or it will kill her. Ironically she'd outlived at least two doctors! She still maintains a wonderful quality of life today, well into her eighties, she's still fat and she still has high blood pressure. Certainly genetics play a big part in it, and some people will be able to handle things like extra weight better than others, but as long as you feel good you're probably not doing too badly. I love reading your blog and hear how you are enjoying life - keep up the good work! Thanks, Dave
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?