Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Definitions and Statistics

I still like to stir up trouble from time to time, and it's nice to see that I can create a disagreement without trying, thanks Largebob and Kate!

You also prove my point that everyone has their own definitions of BBW/SSBBW. Bob puts them into pretty rarefied categories, if I'm not supersized, there's not really a large number of people who are. If that's what he wants, then that's a great definition. If you think about the number of Super models, it's not a bad idea to have a corresponding number of Super BBWs, is it?

Even though Kate brings BMI tables to the debate, I suspect that she has a different categorisation of the divide. Pardon me while I put words in her mouth here, but I suspect to Kate a BBW is someone who has trouble with daily tasks/things they enjoy because of their weight/size, and an SSBBW would be someone who finds daily tasks/things they enjoy to be impossible, or at least impractical, because of their size. Those're pretty good definitions, and, thinking back, actually fit with Bob's definition pretty well.

Bob also brought up an interesting statistic, that I've managed to gain close to 600 pounds! It certainly doesn't feel like that, but seeing that number, and thinking about it a little, that's a lot of weight! I'm sure there are more than a few minds wondering if I'd just gained the weight without taking a break to lose weight as well. I've never been much of a numbers kind of girl, so if anyone else has some insights, I'd be pleased to know, and I'm sure there are readers who would love another perspective.

As for the statistics inquiring minds are here to know: 514, 490 and 468 - Amy's weight, my weight and Ian's weight.

I also managed to track down Alex, I think I promised that a little while ago. We haven't seen each other in quite a while, but he's doing pretty well. He's gained a lot of weight, he's up to 568 pounds! He's shorter than Ian, and didn't really have Ian's athletic back ground, so they weight is really impacting him, but he's enjoying it nonetheless.


Comments:
Lookee! The one ton (tonne to you) quartet!

On the BBW/SSBW debate: As you say, I think these titles should belong to rare individuals. I see "morbidly obese" people every day. The once every couple of weeks I see a BBW, my usual thought is, "Wow! I wish I could walk over and rub her beautiful round belly!" And the once or twice a year I see an SSBBW, I think, "Holy smoke!" and then daydream about her for the rest of the day.
 
I don't know what my definition of BBW and SSBBW would be. They are terms used by the gaining sub-culture, not by me. Quite honestly, my reaction would be more along the lines of 'holy smoke, she's really fat!'.

I think the flesh can get in the way of seeing the person. If I pass a really, really fat person on the street (as opposed to it being someone I know), it's probably the first thing I notice about them, rather than their face or expression. I don't get a sexual thrill out if it, it's just the most immediately striking thing about them, like observing that someone has a pink mohawk.

It sounds like Largebob also sees the flesh rather than the person, the difference is that he wants to touch the belly and daydream about her all day. He's being just as 'sizeist' and objectifying the person as a sex object.

- Kate
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?