Monday, July 21, 2008

Karen and Michael: Enough

Karen sat at the table, alone. In front of her was a vast expanse of food: her dinner for that Friday night. It had been a while since she'd contemplated just how much food she was eating. Did she really eat this much? She stared at the food, as it sat untouched.

"Do you think gaining weight is really going to help?" Sophie came into the kitchen on her crutches, interrupting Karen's thoughts.

"Michael is going to be worth it." Karen answered as she began to fill her plate.

"Can you even dance with all that weight?" Sophie didn't try very hard to keep the scorn from her voice.

"I can dance better than you can right now," Karen shot back. She would rather have her Friday night dinner in peace, she wasn't used to having Sophie around.

Sophie blushed, she was still embarrassed about twisting her ankle. After watching Karen finish her first plate of food she asked, "How does it feel?"

"How does what feel?" Karen responded as she heaped her plate with garlic mashed potatoes.

"You know... this..." she held her hands out wide, "Being fat."

Karen thought for a moment, smiling. She had a few bites from her refilled plate before answering. "It's great, I really like it. You see these garlic mashed potatoes? They look good, smell even better, and I get to eat them. ALLLL of them."

"How much bigger are you going to get?"

"The girl that Michael dates now is still way bigger than I am. She can't dance as well as I can, in fact, she can barely dance at all now."

"You know," Sophie said quietly, "I used to be jealous of you. You had such a great body, and you were the best dancer out there, you really were."

Karen smiled as she filled her plate for the third time. "I'm moving on to better men, I need a better body." Karen knew Sophie didn't understand, and she wished she'd just be left alone.

"It all looks good. Can I have some?"

"Never get between a fat girl and her food," Karen smiled back at her.

***

Karen sat at the table, alone. In front of her was a pile of chicken wings. It had been a long time since she had no appetite. She stared at the wings as they sat, untouched.

"Losing weight isn't going to help," Andrea had just waddled up to Karen's table and was taking a seat.

"You lost weight," Karen replied, finally reaching for a chicken wing.

"Fat lot of good it did me," Andrea said morosely. "I can dance your gigantic ass off on the floor, and he doesn't even look at me any more." She reached for a chicken wing.

Karen blushed a little. It still stung her that in addition to losing Michael, she had become so big that she couldn't really dance like she used to either. After the two women ate a large swath through the plate of wings Karen finally said, "How does it feel?"

"How does what feel?" Andrea asked as she reached for another wing.

"You know..." Karen pointed at Andrea's slimmed form, "losing weight."

"It's terrible," Andrea snorted as she reached for another wing. "There's so much food you can't eat, and for what? Michael doesn't have time for me, just those two twits."

Both women looked over to where Michael was dancing with Sophie and Melissa, who were each angling for his undivided attention. Melissa was bigger than Sophie, but Sophie moved much better. Of course, Andrea was much larger than either girl, and Karen dwarfed them all.

"I should have warned you," Andrea said, as she kept watching the dancing, "that Michael would get bored with you too. I should have. But I hated you."

After a few moments Andrea added "I'm going to gain it all back. Do you think I should warn them?" She reached for another wing.

Karen quickly pulled the plate away front of her, "Never get between a fat girl and her food!" As she finished off the remaining chicken she added "I don't think we need to warn them. I hate them."

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Hi! I'm Stacy! Can I talk to you? Just email me at artsygirlstace at yahoo dot com.

I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?