Monday, December 31, 2007

Last Entry for 2007

We're back home, I'm back at work, and it's been a fun holidays. Paul is old enough to appreciate how exciting everything is. It makes things very interesting as parents, but when all is said and done, the ups far exceed the downs, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Seeing friends and family is always the highlight of the holidays, especially when you have left town and just don't get to see everyone as much as you'd like. What struck me is it seemed like everyone got together to agree on 'My God, you've lost so much weight Ian!' as their official greeting. I don't really mind that they'd say it, it's obvious he's lost a tonne of weight. It just struck me that it seemed so consistent from person to person.

I also think that our families were surprised by how little the two of us ate. We ate more than our fair share, of course, but not much more than anyone else really. I dare say that Ian's brother even out ate Ian! I still got to cook a couple of Christmas dinners, and there's still a lot of fun watching everyone enjoying their meal.

We took time to visit with Jeri, James and Amanda. I miss them a lot, as always. And as always I forget just how old Amanda is. She's in grade 2, she reads, she writes, she knows all kinds of things. She's such a bright girl, and so big!

Speaking of big, Jeri's gotten to be pretty big again. I think she's about as big as she was before, but I didn't take the time to ask. James has gotten pretty big too, at least big for James.

Speaking of pretty big, I had the chance to spend time with Amy and Thomas not once, but twice. The first time, in Toronto, we went out with a few old friends together. It's the first time I've seen her since the summer, and I was surprised to see how big she's gotten.

Last time we were together, despite being a few pounds apart in weight, we seemed to be about the same size over all. Not now. I know it's all about perception, but I just felt dwarfed by her presence. Part of it is just my mental picture of her, being my size. She's 40+ pounds bigger than me now, which is significant even at our size. So seeing her, it's like right away she's 40 pounds bigger than I was thinking. She's so big everywhere, but especially across her hips.

Over the weekend she and Thomas came to visit us in London. Thomas has actually become a little tubby himself. Very few people would consider him 'fat', but if you know him well, you can really see the changes in him. He's just rounder, softer than normal.

Saturday I had my chance to cook for Amy, and to eat with her. We spent the whole day together, and I was shocked by how much she ate. Ian told me that I used to eat that much, but surely I'd remember? Ian and I (and Thomas for that matter) ate plenty, but we weren't even close to keeping up with Amy. We just did snack food/fast food, except for dinner I just made up a vat of my chicken fetticini al fredo. There were no leftovers for that!

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?